Jennifer is our resident smoothie-queen. She brings one in most days and it always looks healthy and delicious. Here's her secret:
My basic smoothie formula…
1. Fill cup or blender halfway with dark, leafy greens
– Spring mix is a good option for veggie-haters because the flavor isn't as strong, but spinach and kale pack in a lot more nutrients!
2. Fill the rest of the way with fruit
– I always include a frozen banana in the mix because it makes it nice and creamy. I tend to pick sweeter fruits (pineapple, peaches, and berries are all good options) because it helps to mask the "green" flavor. Frozen fruit also eliminates the need for ice.
3. Add an "extra"
– "Extras" are things I use to boost flavor and nutritional value. Examples include peanut butter, protein powder, nuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, greek yogurt, etc. For these, I do anywhere between a tablespoon and 1/4 cup.
4. Add liquid
– Purified water is always a good go-to option, but occasionally I'll use almond milk for a creamier, more filling smoothie. I fill it up until it's about 3/4 to the top of the other ingredients.
Blend until smooth!
Smoothie o' the Day:
banana + chocolate protein powder + coffee or almond milk
What's your favorite smoothie combo?